Walton Cardiff is a township, very small village, and parish, 1 mile south-east-by-east of Tewkesbury, in the lower division of the Hundred and the Union of Tewkesbury, bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, and archdeaconry of Gloucester. The church of St. James, an old stone building in the early English style, has a small bell cupola; the interior has been recently entirely repaired. The living is a perpetual curacy, worth £56 yearly, in the gift of the Warden and Fellows of All Souls’ College, Oxford. The Rev. Charles Greenall Davies, M.A., is the incumbent. No burials take place here; the parishioners have the right of burial in the neighbouring parish of Ashchurch. In case of very high floods, the church is inaccessible, and the water has occasionally been in the building. The population, in 1851, was 60, and the acreage is 649. There is a charity of £1 10s. yearly value, left by Miss Smithsend, and distributed annually at Christmas in blankets. In the grounds of S. P. Peacock, Esq., is a fine mineral spring, resembling those at Cheltenham.
Peacock Spencer Percival, esq.
Brotheridge Ambrose Day, farmer
Long Samuel, farmer
Letters received through Tewkesbury, which is also the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.