Weston Birt is a township, parish, and village, 3 ½ miles south-west from Tetbury, 10 south-west from Tetbury road station, 19 ½ north-east from Bath, 24 south from Gloucester, and 103 from London, in Longtree Hundred, Tetbury Unions, East Gloucestershire, Hawkesbury archdeaconry, and Gloucestershire and Bristol bishopric. It is situated on the Bath and Cirencester road. The church is an old stone building in the early English style; was, in 1841, thoroughly restored and enlarged. It has a nave, north aisle, chancel, porches, and square embattled tower, containing 2 bells. In the church is a beautiful monument, by Westmacott, to the Holford family. The living is a rectory, worth £115 yearly, with residence and 90 acres of glebe land, in the gift of R. S. Holford, Esq. The Rev. Charles Norford is the incumbent. There is a mixed school conducted upon the National system, and supported by R. S. Holford, Esq. Weston Birt House is the seat of R. S. Holford, Esq. The gardens and park are justly celebrated for their beauty and extent; the former are ornamented with conservatories, pavilions, fountains, &c., and, together with the park, contain a valuable collection of trees and plants of every description. The village has been almost entirely rebuilt. The population, in 1851, was 234, and the acreage is 1,740 acres. The soil is light loam; the subsoil is principally oolite. R. S. Holford, Esq., M.P. is lord of the manor and sole landowner. There are charities of £2 yearly value.
Lasborough, formerly a Roman settlement, is a distinct parish for ecclesiastical purposes, but for civil purposes it forms part of the township of Weston Birt.
Norford Rev. Charles. Rectory
Holford Robert Stayner, esq. M.P. Weston Birt house
Ashbee John, boot & shoe maker & shopkeeper
Post Office. – David Lovegrove, receiver. Letters arrive through Tetbury. Arrive ½ past 11 a.m.; dispatched ½ past 2 p.m. The nearest money order office is Tenbury.
Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.