Whaddon is a township, parish and small village, 3 miles south from Gloucester railway station, 5 ½ north-north-west from Stroud, 13 south-west of Cheltenham, and 3 ½ north-west from Painswick, in the middle division of the Hundred of Dudstone and King’s Barton, Gloucester Union, West Gloucestershire archdeaconry, rural deanery, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. It is situated on the high road from Stroud to Gloucester. The Great Western and Midland railway passes through the parish. The church of Saint Margaret is an old stone building, the nave and chancel in the style of the 13th and the tower of the 15th century, was in 1855 (with the exception of the chancel, which belongs to the impropriator) entirely restored and repaired; it has nave, chancel, and western tower of two storeys, with battlements, parapet without pinnacles, and had a peal of 5 bells, of which 2 alone are now serviceable. The living is a perpetual curacy, £52 gross yearly value. This parish was permanently united with that of Brookthorpe, in 1843, with residence and 12 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester and J. Neeld, M.P.; the Rev. Francis T. Bayley, B.A., is the incumbent. The children in this parish attend the school at Brookthorpe. The population, in 1851, was 120, and the acreage is 727.
Gilberts, Old Farm, and Brickhouse, are farms.
Webb Mr. Hugh
Brooke William, farmer & cider retailer, Gilberts
Brooke William, jun. farmer, Old farm
Carter James, farmer
Houldey Lewis, blacksmith
Long Daniel, farmer, Brick house farm
Rea William, boot & shoe maker
Smart Thomas, butcher
Letters received through Gloucester, which is also the nearest money order office.
Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.