Last Updated on
Whitminster, or Wheatenhurst, is a township, parish and village, 2 ½ miles west from Stonehouse railway station, and 7 ½ south from Gloucester, in Whitstone Hundred, Wheatenhurst Union, East Gloucestershire, Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. It is situated on the navigable river Severn, Gloucester and Berkeley canal, and Stroud canal. The church of St. Andrew, an old stone building in the early English style, was enlarged about 1850; it has a tower, nave, aisles, porch, chancel, organ, 4 bells, monuments, and font. The living is a perpetual curacy, worth £135 yearly, in the gift of George Bengough, Esq.; the Rev. Anthony Ely, B.A., is the incumbent. There is a Parochial school for boys and girls. The population, in 1851, was 380, and the acreage is 1,237. The coil is principally clay. George Bengough, Esq., is lord of the manor. George Bengough, Esq., and Henry Hooper Wilton, Esq., are chief landowners. There are charities of £28 yearly value.
Jacksons, Kidmans, Manor Farm, Park Fields, Whitminster House, and Packthorne farm, are in this parish.
Ely Rev. Anthony, B.A.
Harris Clement Mears, esq.
Martin Richard, esq. Park fields
Andrews John, blacksmith
Barnfield William, shopkeeper
Boucher John, cattle dealer
Browning William, farmer, Manor farm
Butler Henry W. farmer, Jackson’s farm
Chandler John, shopkeeper
Clutterbuck Charles, barge owner
Critchley Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper & beer retailer
Crump John, farmer
Halsey Thomas, farmer, Kidmans
Harris Clement Mears, surgeon
Hogg William, coal merchant & barge owner
Lambert William, Whitminster inn, & postmaster
Lay John, shopkeeper
Martin William, farmer
Pearce Ann (Mrs.), mistress of National school
Perry George, carpenter & wheelwright
Perry Walter, carpenter & wheelwright
Perry William, cabinet maker
Ravenhill James, butcher
Stapleton William, parish clerk
Watts Henry, farmer, Whitminster house
Post Office. – William Lambert, postmaster. Letters arrive from Stonehouse at 20 min. to 9 a.m.; dispatched at ½ past 5 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Frampton-on-Severn.
Parochial school, Mrs. Ann Pearce & Miss Ellen Jones, mistresses.
Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.