Winson is a hamlet and chapelry in the township of Bibury, distant 2 miles north and 7 north-west from Fairford, 4 south from Northleach, and 7 north-east from Cirencester, in Bradley Hundred, Northleach Union and electoral division, Gloucester and Bristol bishopric, seated on the river Coln. The church of St. Michael is a small stone building, with nave and chancel. The living is next to Bibury. The Rev. Henry Snow, M.A., is the incumbent. There is a National school for boys and girls. The population, in 1851, was 170, and the acreage is 1,190; rateable value, £1,454. The soil is stone brash. Sir James Musgrave, of Barnsbury Park, is lord of the manor, and chief landowner.
Agg James, butcher & shopkeeper
Baker Edward, farmer
Bradley James, shopkeeper
Cook Michael, farmer
Guest John, stonemason
Harris Thomas, carpenter & postmaster
Hopkins Thomas, baker
Smith Richard, carrier
Yells Lambert, farmer
Post Office. – Thomas Harris, receiver. Letters from Fairford arrive at ¼ before 10 a.m.; dispatched at 4 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Northleach.
National School, Mrs. Eliza Guest, mistress.
Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.