Ampney Saint Mary (or Ashbrook) is a village in Cirencester union, containing, by the census of 1861, 125, and in 1871, 99 inhabitants, and 1156 acres; in the deanery of Cirencester, archdeaconry of Bristol, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Crowthorne and Minety, East Gloucestershire; 3 ½ miles east from Cirencester, on the road thence to Fairford, from which it is 4 ½ miles. The living is a vicarage in the incumbency of the Rev. Lawrence Latham, valued at £72 per annum, with 63 acres of glebe land, and in the patronage of Sir M. H. Beach, Baronet. The church is a small ancient edifice, dedicated to St. Mary. There are charitable bequests producing £3 12s. per annum. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor and principal landowners. The rateable value of the parish is £1705.
Trades and Professions
Cole Henry, farmer, Somerfield farm
Cole Richard, farmer, Can Court farm
Harris James, baker and shopkeeper
Lane William, parish clerk
Letters through Cirencester, which is the nearest money order office
Source: Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.