Eckington Worcestershire – Littleburys Directory 1879
Eckington is a village and parish on the banks of the Avon, which is here crossed by an ancient stone bridge; is 6 ½ miles N. of Tewkesbury, 4 S.S.W. of Pershore, and 9 S. of Worcester; it has a station on the Birmingham and Bristol branch of the Midland railway; is in the eastern division of the county and hundred of Upper Pershore; union, county court district, and petty sessional division of Pershore; polling district of Bredon; annual rateable value, £5,441; area of the parish, 2,260 acres; population in 1861, 748; in 1871, 709, with 167 inhabited houses, and 170 families or separate occupiers. William Hanford Flood, Esq., who is lord of the manor, W. D. Amery, Esq., Messrs. Lucas, Holland, Parish, Gibbs, Smithin, and others, are owners of the soil. The land is chiefly meadow and pasture, with a portion in garden cultivation; and orchards and fruit gardens adorn this pretty village. Eckington is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Pershore; living, a vicarage, value £228, with residence; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster; vicar, Rev. William Ismay, M.A., Emmanuel College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1877. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and square embattled tower containing six bells. It has real and some imitative Norman work; interesting remains of the Decorated period, a cylindrical font, a monument to the Hanford family dated 1616, &c. The earliest register is dated 1678. The national school was erected in 1860 at a cost of £939 for the accommodation of about 120 children. The principal charity belonging to the parish is the interest of £100 left by the late Mr. Joseph Crump to the parish school in 1864. There is also a charity realising about £60 per annum directed to be spent in the repair, &c., of the parish church and bridge. The Baptists have a chapel in the village, built by the late Benjamin Risdon, Esq., of Birlingham, in the year 1840. Woollas Hall, the seat of William Hanford Flood, Esq., J.P., D.L., is about 2 miles S. of the village, and pleasantly situate on the side of Bredon hill. This mansion has been in the possession of the Hanford family since the reign of Elizabeth. A stone in the front bears the date of 1611, but the back part is of a much earlier period. In the spacious hall are some beautiful specimens of antique furniture, portraits of eminent personages, including Prince Rupert, Cromwell, King Charles, &c.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Thomas Hopkins Meakins, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive by messenger from Pershore at 8 a.m.; despatched thereto at 4.45 p.m. Money-orders are granted and paid, and post-office savings-bank business transacted. Pershore is the telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (Holy Trinity). – Rev. William Ismay, M.A., Vicar; Messrs. John Parish and Thomas Phipps, Churchwardens; George Lewis, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls). – Mrs. Powell, Mistress.
Baptist Chapel. – Rev. Walter Wheeler, Minister.
Registrar of Births and Deaths and Relieving Officer for Eckington District. – Mr. Alfred White, Woodbine cottage.
Railway Station (Midland). – William Bromage, Station Master.
Flood William Hanford, Esq., J.P., D.L., Woollas hall
Freer Mrs., Manor house
Gibbs Mr. Philip Henry
Hopkins Mr. Wm. Richard, Clytha cot.
Ismay Rev. William, M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage
Jelf The Misses
Leonard Miss Lucy
Phelps Mr. George
Phipps Thomas, Esq.
Ricketts Mrs. S., Napleton cottage
Wheeler Rev. Walter (Baptist)
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Bayliss Miss Hannah, shopkeeper
Berwick George, blacksmith
Bromage W., station master, Railway sta.
Brown Edward, farmer
Cooper Mrs., dressmaker
Cooper William, coal merchant, boat owner, &c., Woodbine cottage
Cull Geo., plumber, glazier, and painter
Davis Stephen, farmer, Woollas hill and Lower End farms
Day Henry, horse dealer
Diaper Alfred, market gardener
Diaper Henry, market gardener and beer retailer
Diaper William, market gardener
Driver John, market gardener
Firkins Jos., butcher and market grdnr.
Glanville Henry, market gardener
Glover John, baker, grocer, and draper
Hawker Abel William, market gardener
Hinett – , horse breaker
Holland Joseph, farmer, Eckington fields
James George, coal agent
Jones Chas. and John, market gardeners
Jones James, shopkeeper and beer retailer (Anchor), and farmer
Jones Mrs., draper and dressmaker
Jones William, market gardener
Lewis Charles, boot and shoe maker
Lewis George, parish clerk & bootmaker
Loxley William, horse dlr., Woodbine cot.
Martin Charles, tailor
Meakins Thomas Hopkins, grocer, druggist, and sub-postmaster, Post office
Miles John, grocer, prov. Dlr., & blksmith.
Parish John, farmer, Court close
Peacey Christopher, farmer, Avon cottage
Powell Mrs., schoolmistress, School ho.
Reece Mrs. Elizabeth, Bell Inn, Church street
Roberts Edward, tailor
Shilton Joseph, coal dealer, &c.
Smith Herbert H., cabinet maker and harmonium manufacturer, Church St.
Sutton William, market gardener and farmer
Taylor Job, basket carriage body maker and basket and pot hamper manufacturer
Thornton William Vincent, baker, flour and meal factor, Church street
Wall John, beer retailer
Watson George, Crown Inn
Welsh George, tailor
Welsh – , carpenter and wheelwright
White Alfred, relieving officer and registrar of births and deaths for Eckington district.
White John, market grdnr., Upper end
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.