Last Updated on

Uley is a township, parish, and village, 4 miles south from the Frocester station, 5 from Berkeley and Dursley stations, and 2 ½ from Dursley, in Berkeley Hundred, Dursley Union, West Gloucestershire, Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric.  It is situate on the turnpike road leading from Stroud to Dursley.  The church of St. Giles is a stone building, chiefly in the Gothic style; has a tower, 2 aisles, chancel, organ, 1 bell, 8 monuments, font, and clock.  The living is a rectory, worth £200 yearly, with 16 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor.  The Rev. M. W. Wilkinson, B.D., is the incumbent.  There are chapels for Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyans, and Day and Sunday schools for boys and girls.  A feast is held yearly, beginning the first Sunday in September.  A Roman tumulus, or sepulchre, has been discovered at Westhill, in this parish.  Uley Bury Hill was formerly a Roman encampment.  Roman coins have frequently been found here.  The population, in 1851, was 1,327, and the acreage is 1,357.  T. B. L. Baker, Esq., and Colonel Kingscote, are chief landowners.  There are charities of £8 yearly value.

Bencombe, Stoutshill, Augeston, The Grange, and Totnes, are places here.

Gentry
Bellett Mr. Benjamin
Bowen Mrs. Bencombe house
Browne Mrs. Stoutshill
Furse Mrs. Augeston cottage
Gordon Robert, esq., Shibley house
Gregory Miss Jane
Jackson John, esq. Grange
Kingscote Robert A. Fitzhardinge, esq. Uley lodge
Knight Mr. Samuel
Osborne Rev. Daniel
Rowley George, esq. Rockstowe
Stiff Thomas W. esq.
Turner Mrs.
Wilkinson Rev. Marlow Watts, B.D. (rector), Mansion house

Traders
Allen Charles, butcher
Baglin Edward, shopkeeper
Brown William, wood turner
Dauncey Thomas, grocer
Ford George, baker
Ford George, shoemaker
Ford Isaac, shoemaker
Ford Rowland, ‘King’s Head’
Harding Robert Compton, surgeon
Harding Rowland Charles, registrar of births & deaths
Hibbeard Jacob, shopkeeper
Hill William, farmer
Holloway James, carpenter
Horcombe Sidney, butcher
Horcombe William, ironmonger
Jackson Charles, stonemason
Jackson Charles, shopkeeper, Totness
Jones Mary (Mrs.), blacksmith
Kilmister Matthew, shoemaker
Leach Benjamin, school
Leonard Miles, saw mill
Lord James, ‘Old Crown’
Lusty Henry & Thomas, saw mill
Lusty William, wood turner
Martin Frederick, shopkeeper
Martin John, saw mill
Norris Charles, beer retailer
Powell Daniel, beer retailer
Powell Peter, baker
Price Chas. agent to the County fire office
Price Charlotte (Mrs.), brewer
Tanner Frederick, wheelwright
Tilley George, plasterer
Window Cornelius, shopkeeper
Woodcock Elizabeth (Mrs.), ‘Crown’

Post Office. – Thomas Hill, receiver.  Letters are dispatched at ¼ past 5 p.m.; delivered at 9 a.m.  The nearest money order office is at Dursley.

National School, John Williams, master; Mrs. Elizabeth Hurcombe, mistress

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol.  Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.