Uckington Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Uckington is a hamlet and village in the township and parish of Elmstone Hardwicke, which is in the lower division of the Hundred of Deerhurst, and is included in the Union of Cheltenham, from which towns it is distant 2 ¼ miles north-west. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Gloucester, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric, in the gift of the Crown, and of the yearly value of £233. The Rev. John Byron, M.A., is the incumbent. The church of the Virgin Mary is a very old building, in the Saxon style, with tower and 4 bells. In 1851 the population was 173, and the acreage 852, chiefly arable.
Moat, Corner, and Pigeon House, are farms.
Buckle John, esq. Moat farm
Byron Rev. John, M.A. (vicar)
Biddle Thomas, carpenter
Buckle John, farmer, Moat farm
Castre Edward, farmer, Uckington frm
Cooke Joseph & Mary (Miss), farmers, Corner farm
Humphris William, farmer
Theyer Daniel, farmer, Pigeon house fm
Ursell Charles, parish clerk
Ursell William, grocer
Woodward Joseph, farmer, Manor farm
Letters are included in the delivery from Cheltenham, which is the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.