Last Updated on
Broadwell is a parish and village, 1 mile north-east from Stow-on-the-Wold, and 2 north-west from the Adlestrop railway station on the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton railway, in Upper Slaughter Hundred, Stow-on-the-Wold Union, East Gloucestershire, Gloucester archdeaconry, Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. The church of St. Paul is a neat stone building in the early English and perpendicular style. The living is united with that of Adlestrop, and is a rectory, united value about £800 per annum, in the gift of Lord Leigh; the Hon. and Rev. Henry Pitt Cholmondeley, M.A., is the incumbent, and the Rev. Robert Potter, M.A., is the curate. There is a National school for boys and girls, and Sunday school endowed with £4 per annum. The seat of Admiral Jodrell Leigh is situated here. The population, in 1851, was 388, and the acreage is 1,849; the soil is oolite, marlstone, and lias clay. The manorial rights are divided into five portions. Admiral Leigh, the rector, and others, are the landowners.
Leigh Admiral Jodrell, Broadwell house
Polhill Capt. William
Potter Rev. Robert, M.A. (curate)
Bartlett Hen. Beer retailer & cattle dlr
Bastin John, shopkeeper
Bastin William, shoemaker
Breakspere Richard, blacksmith
Hands Richard, farm bailiff
Hill Daniel, farm bailiff
Hodgskins Charles, carpenter
Hodgskins Richard, carpenter
Mosson Matthew, mason & shopkeeper
Payne Thomas, farmer
Quarterman William, shoema. & postmstr
Rose James, farmer
Rose Joseph, farmer, maltster & baker
Slatter Joseph, farmer
Wharton Henry, beer retailer & coal dlr
Letters are received through Moreton-in-the-Marsh. The nearest money order office is at Stow-on-the-Wold.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.