Last Updated on
Bream is a village and chapelry annexed to the vicarage of Newland, 4 miles from Lydney station on the South Wales line of railway, 4 ½ from Coleford, 8 from Monmouth, and 15 from Ross, in the diocese of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol, and parish of Newland, and the Hundred of St. Briavells. The church is a small building of stone, having a tower with cupola top, aisle, chancel, and 1 bell; the Rev. John Beverstock is curate. The population, in 1851, was 643.
Ames Thomas, grocer
Batten Rebecca (Mrs.), shoemaker
Billy Thomas, beer retailer
Ebbw Vale Coal Company (John Walkinshaw, man.), Oakwood valley
Hill Thomas, blacksmith
Hewlett George, grocer & linendraper
Hewlett Richard, farmer
Hewlett Thomas, farmer
James William, ‘Cross Keys’
Kear William, New Inn
Lucas Emmanuel, farmer
Phillips Richard, farmer
Summers William, farmer
Vimpany Amos, farmer
Letters are received through Lydney. The nearest money order office is at Coleford.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.