Last Updated on
Warndon is a small parish 2½ miles N.E. of Worcester, in the western division of the county and hundred of Lower Oswaldslow; poor-law union of Droitwich; petty sessional division, polling district, and county court district of Worcester; highway district of Upton Snodsbury; annual rateable value, £1,814 5s.; area of parish, 966a. 3r. 23p.; population in 1861, 164; and in 1871, 178, with 40 inhabited houses. Robert Berkeley, Esq., of Spetchley park, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clay and marl; chief crops, wheat, beans, and pasture. Warndon is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of East Worcester; living, a rectory, value £151; patron, W. Odell, Esq.; rector, Rev. Francis John Eld, M.A., St. John’s College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1875, and resides at Worcester. The church of St. Nicholas is merely an oblong building with no architectural features of note. It was built in 1542, and repaired in 1865 by rate and subscription. It consists of chancel, nave, wooden tower at the west end, and north porch built of brick. The earliest register is dated 1561. There are several Roman Catholics in the parish. Upper and Lower Smite, distant 2 miles N., are within the parliamentary borough of Droitwich; Trotshill is half a mile S.; Wood Green and Tolladine are also places in this parish.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters are received through Worcester, which is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish church (St. Nicholas’). – Rev. Francis John Eld, M.A., Rector; Messrs. Richard Young and Richard Wookey, Churchwardens; James Linton, Parish Clerk.
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Cartridge Harvey, farmer, Lower Smite
Cartridge Phillip, farmer, Upper Smite
Day William, farmer, and overseer, Little Tolladine (and in Claines parish)
Kendal James, farmer, Trotshill farm
Linton James, wheelwright and parish clerk, Trotshill
Wookey Richard, farmer, overseer, and churchwarden, Warndon farm
Young Richard, blacksmith and churchwarden, Trotshill
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.