Last Updated on
Doddenham is a small parish, chapelry, and village, pleasantly situated on the Worcester and Bromyard road, and on the N. side of the river Teme, 8 miles W. of Worcester, 6 E. of Bromyard, and 1 mile N.E. of Knightwick station on the Great Western railway; is in the Western division of the county and hundred of Middle Oswaldslow; union, highway, and polling district of Martley, petty sessional division and county court district of Worcester; population in 1861, 278; in 1871, 279, with 68 inhabited houses and 74 families or separate occupiers. The area of the parish is 916 acres; annual rateable value, £1,414; the soil is stiff loam, marl, and clay; subsoil, marl, clay, and gravel; chief crops, the usual cereals, fruit, and hops. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and Francis Edward Williams, Esq., is the principal landowner. The parish registers begin with the year 1538. The living is annexed to the rectory of Knightwick; the chapel has been destroyed, and the place is now so identified with Knightwick for ecclesiastical purposes that we refer the reader to the description of that place. Knightsford bridge crosses the Teme and connects this parish with Knightwick. The Talbot Inn, close to Knightsford bridge, affords every accommodation to fishing and picnic parties. Thorney Cottage, the property of F. E. Williams, Esq., is at present occupied by Captain Henry Battiscombe. Easinghope is three-quarters of a mile N.W.; Haynes Green half-a-mile N.E.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Post office, Knightsford bridge; T. Powell, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive from Worcester by mail-cart (en-route to Bromyard) at 6 a.m.; despatched thereto at 6.50 p.m. Clifton-upon-Teme is the nearest money-order office. Worcester is the telegraph office and post town.
Battiscombe Captain Henry, Thorney cot.
Oatridge Mr. Edward, Knightsford bridge
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Benbow George, farmer, Easinghope fm.
Birch John, painter, &c.
Bradburne Thos., farmer, Haynes green
Browning Henry Joseph, Talbot Inn, and farmer, Knightsford bridge
Bullock William, farmer, Ankerdine fm.
Finch John, farmer, Doddenham hall
Huggins Henry, shopkeeper
Powell Thomas, boot and shoe maker, parish clerk, and sub-postmaster, Post office, Knightsford bridge
Smith Mrs. Elizabeth, farmer, Darby gn.
Vernals James, farmer, Agberrow farm, Ankerdine hill
Vernon John, farmer, Lower Gurnox
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.