Last Updated on

Llanymynech is a village and parish, in the Northern division of the county, upper division of Oswestry hundred, and diocese of St. Asaph, six miles from Oswestry, is eighteen miles from Shrewsbury by rail, and nine miles east of Llanfyllin. The parish consists of the townships of Llanymynech, Llwyntidman, and Treprenal, in this county, the remaining portion of Carreghova being in Wales. The country around is hilly, and abounds with minerals; small portions of copper ore are found. The Chester, Ellesmere, and Newtown section of the Shropshire Union Canal, and the Cambrian and the Potteries, Shrewsbury, and North Wales Railways pass through this parish. The church of St. Agatha was rebuilt in 1845, at a cost of £2,000, of which £150 was given by the diocesan and £150 by the Incorporated Societies; the sum of £108 was raised by a parochial rate, and the remainder by private subscriptions. The living is a rectory, the composition in lieu of tithes is £380 per annum, with residence and 22 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Bishop of St. Asaph. A School for boys and girls is supported by voluntary contributions. At Llwyntidman there are chapels for Calvinistic and Primitive Methodists. Three fairs are held annually, viz., an the 1st of April, 20th of May, and 23rd of September. There are two lords of the manor, viz., the Earl of Powis and F. West, Esq. the principal landlords are the Earls of Bradford and Powis, the Duke of Leeds, and Lady Tyrwhitt. The parish contains 1,281 acres; the population in 1861 was 951; gross estimated rental, £3,110: rateable value, £2,765.

Letters arrive from Oswestry at 8 30 a.m.; dispatched thereto at 6 45 p.m.

Cross Mr. Harry Lockley
Elias Elijah, esq
Foulkes Rev. William
Luxmore Then. John, M.A., Rectory
Pryce John, esq., Llwnygroes hall
Morris Mrs. Newhouse
Asterley William, farmer
Baugh Richard, farmer Whiterock
Bromley Richard, farmer, Lower house
Deam Thomas, plumber and glazier
Edwards John, miller, Llwyntidman
Evans John and Sons, nurserymen, Llwyntidman
Eyeley Joseph F., surgeon
Gill Edward, farmer, Treprenal
Griffiths John, blacksmith
Griffiths William, grocer
Hackett John, tallow chandler
Harris John, tailor
Harris Joseph, carpenter, Llwyntidman
Humphreys Margaret, Cross Guns, Llwyntidman
Jeffreys John, linen manufacturer
Jones Edward, saddler and harness maker
Jones – (Miss), farmer
Jones John, coal merchant
King Frederick, Lion Inn
Lester John, mine proprietor, Llwyntidman
Lloyd David, shoe maker
Lloyd Edward, builder
Lloyd Richard, commercial traveller
Mason Edward, Dolphin Inn
Morgan Thomas, shoemaker
Morns John, shoe maker
Peate William, farmer
Perkins Charles, shoe maker
Pugh Hugh, builder
Ratcliffe’ Jane, farmer, Plascerig
Ratcliffe James, farmer, Llwyntidman
Richards Richard, Bradford Arms
Roberts Catherine Elizabeth, ladies’ school
Roberts Charles, lime merchant, Llwyntidman
Roberts Thomas, butcher
Roberts Thomas, lime burner, Llwyntidman
Roberts William, shoe maker
Rogers William, farmer, Llwyntidman
Saunders George James, farmer, Llwyntidman
Savage Elizabeth, farmer, Llwyntidman
Scott Abraham Eland, baker and grocer
Smith and Baugh, grocers
Smith Joseph, bricklayer
Thomas Thomas, farmer, Treprenal
Williams John, shoe maker, Llwyntidman
Williams Thomas, tailor
Woodall Henry, carpenter

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871