Lydbury North is a village and parish, comprising the townships of Acton, Brocton, Choulton, Eaton, Eyton, and Plowden and Totterton, 2 ½ miles from Plowden railway station, 4 miles from Bishop’s Castle, 8 from Craven Arms station, and 21 from Shrewsbury, in the Southern division of the county, Bishop’s Castle division of Purslow hundred, Clun union, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Michael is a stone building, in the Early English style. The living is a vicarage, with the chapelry of Norbury annexed, joint yearly value £486, with residence and one acre of glebe land, in the gift of the trustee of the late Rev. John Bright, B.A., and held by the Rev. Charles Rolfe, T.A.K.C.L. A Parochial free school for boys and girls is supported by an endowment of £16 yearly, and voluntary contributions: the other charities are of the yearly value of £36 10s. A Catholic chapel, with residence for the priest, and schools, was erected in 1868; the whole forms a very handsome block of buildings; the Very Rev. Canon Tobin is in charge of the mission. The charities are of £38 yearly value. Bury Ditches, about one mile and a half from the village, is a supposed British encampment. There is a free library, established by the Countess of Powis for the benefit of those residing in the parish and neighbourhood. Walcot Park, the residence of the Earl of Powis, is a fine brick building, with very extensive pleasure grounds. The Earl of Powis. William Plowden, Esq., (lords of the manor) John Bright, Esq.: and the Rev. William Garnett Botfield, are chief landowners. The soil is various; the subsoil, gravel, rock, clay, peat &c. The population in 1861 was 1,025; the area is 7,519 acres 0 roods 21 perches: gross estimated rental, £8, 357; rateable value, £1,431.
Acton is about three miles from the church.
Brocton is one mile and a half from the church.
Choulton is two miles from the church.
Eaton is about three miles from the church.
Eyton and Plowden township is about two miles from the church.
Totterton is one mile and a half from the church.
Lower Down is one mile from the church.
Post Office. – Richard Norncott, postmaster. Letters arrive at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 7 15 p.m.
Powis Earl of, Walcot park
Morris Miss, The Gardens
Brereton John, farmer, Bow house
Burchell Henry, New inn
Davies Edward, farmer, The Folly
Davies Joseph, farmer, Friezeland
Guilt Richard, former, Red house
Hotchkiss Chas. farmer, Prior’s Holt farm
Jones Edward, farmer, Bow house
Jones John, shoe maker
Lawrence Edward, blacksmith
Newell Joseph, land agent
Onions William, farmer, Church Moor farm
Phillips William, farmer
Williams John, carpenter
Wood Edward, farmer, Lynch gate
Wood Nathaniel, shoe maker
Wood Richard, wheelwright
Weight May, grocer
Luther Charles, farmer
Price George, farmer
Robinson Joseph, blacksmith
Robinson Richard, farmer
Beddoes William, beer retailer
Hamar Mary, miller and farmer
Lewis John, blacksmith
Marston Richard, wheelwright
Mountford Edward, landowner & farmer
Robinson Thomas, beer retailer
Tomlins John, assistant overseer, registrar of births and deaths and collector of taxes.
Woosnam Charles, farmer
Marstone Samuel, farmer
Watkins John, farmer
Whitall David, blacksmith
Watkin Job, farmer
Amiss Samuel, farmer
Guilt William, farmer
Luscutt John, wheelwright & carpenter
Watkins Evan, miller, Plowden mill
Watts Thomas, farmer
Plowden William, esq. Plowden hall
Tobin Very Rev. Canon, Presbytery
Brereton John, farmer
Farmer John, farmer
Hamar Thomas, sen. farmer
Parry Capt. Thomas Macdonnell, Totterton hall
Shuker John, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871