Barnesley is a township, village, and parish of Brightwell, Barrow Hundred, Eastern Electoral division of the county, and Cirencester Union, with a population, in 1851, of 322, and an extent of 2,090 acres. It is situate on the turnpike road between Cirencester and Oxford through Burford, distant from Cirencester 4 miles north-east, 7 north-west from Fairford, and 13 from Burford; it is in the archdeaconry of Bristol, and the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The living is a rectory, in the gift of Sir James Musgrave, Bart.; the Rev. G. Ernest Howman, M.A., is the present incumbent. The church, said to be dedicated in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary, is an ancient stone building, the earliest parts of it in the transition Norman style; it has been lately restored throughout. It has a nave, chancel and vestry, north aisle, and a tower with 3 bells. The soil is loam and clay; the subsoil, oolite. Sir James Musgrave, Bart., is lord of the manor, and principal landowner: he resides here. The park is of considerable dimensions.
Poult-moor farm lies 1 mile east; Bibury lies 3 miles north-east; Ready Token, 3 miles south-east.
Hatherall Mr. Abraham
Howman Rev. George Ernest, M.A.
Musgrave Sir James, bart. Barnsley prk
Burge Maria (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Cook William, blacksmith
Habgood Thomas, ‘Greyhound,’ farmer & maltster
Norris William, shopkeeper
Pritchett Benjamin, farmer
Turk William, farmer
Weaver William, tailor & parish clerk
Whitehead William, wheelwright
Post Office. – William Weaver, receiver. Letters are received from Cirencester 10 a.m. & dispatched 4 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Cirencester.
Parks School, Elizabeth Parfett, mistress
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.