Abdon Kellys Herefordshire and Shropshire Directory 1941

Abdon is a parish on the western side of the Brown Clee Hill and overlooks Corvedale, through which flows the small river Corve: it is 5 miles south-east from Rushbury station on the Wenlock and Craven Arms branch of the Great Western railway, and 10 north-by-east from Ludlow, in the Ludlow division of the county, lower division of the hundred of Munslow, Ludlow rural district, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Ludlow and diocese of Hereford.  The church of St. Margaret is a small and plain but ancient building of stone, in the Early  English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells: there are 100 sittings.  The register dates from 1554, but is imperfect till the year 1650.  The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of Clee St. Margaret annexed, joint net yearly value £386, including 4 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Earls of Pembroke and Montgomery M.V.O. and J.A.H. Thursby-Pelham esq. alternately, and held since 1938 by the Rev. William Adderley, of London College of Divinity, who resides at Clee St. Margaret.  There is a charity of the yearly value of 12s arising from money left for distribution amongst the poor of the parish.  Mr. Thomas William Bradley, who is lord of the manor, Mrs. G. Bradley, of Church Stretton, and Miss Hannah Childe are the principal landowners.  The soil is chiefly clay; the subsoil, is lime, rock and old red sandstone.  The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and turnips.  The area (including Earnstrey Park) is 2,189 acres; the population in 1931 was 163 in the civil and of the ecclesiastical parish, 374.

Earnstrey Park, formerly a township of Diddlebury, was in 1884 (by Local Government Board Order) added to this parish.  The Hon. Frederick Gustavus Hamilton-Russell D.L., J.P. is lord of the manor.  William Childe esq., Mrs G. E. Howells, Mrs. M. Harris and Mrs. D. L. Marston are the chief landowners.  The population is included with Abdon.

Letters through Craven Arms, Shropshire.  Nearest T. office at Ditton Priors.

Abdon.
Marked thus * postal address Diddlebury, Craven Arms.

Commercial.
Marked thus o farm 150 acres or over.

Bowen Geoffrey, cowkeeper
o Bradley Thos. Wm. farmer & landowner, Manor ho. Ditton Priors 236
Cartwright Benj. Allpike, cowkeeper
o Childe Hannah (Miss), farmer, Marsh farm
o *Childs Jn. Farmer
*Cooper Richard, farmer, Wood Bank
Cooper Samuel, farmer
Corfield Arthur, cowkpr. Wood Bank
Duce Jeremiah, cowkeeper
Duce Thos. smallholder, Wood Bank
McHugh Annie Roberta Kathln. (Miss), farmer, Cockshutford
Parker Jn. cowkeeper
Price Thos. farmer, Upper House fm
Rudd Edwin, farmer, New ho.

Earnstrey Park
Marked thus o farm 150 acres or over.

o Childe William, farmer, Lower Park
o Griffiths Frank, farmer
o Howells Gertrude Emma (Mrs.), farmer
Howells William, farmer
Marston Jn. farmer

Source: Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire & Shropshire 1941, published by Kelly’s Directories Ltd 1941. Reproduced with the kind permission of the publishers Kelly’s Directories Ltd and Reed Business Information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.