Turkdean Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Turkdean is a township, parish and small village, 2 miles north from Northleach, 12 north from Cirencester and south-west from Stow, in Bradley Hundred, Northleach Union and electoral division, Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric, situated on the old Roman fossway, on the Cotswold hills. The church, a small old building, in the Norman style, has tower, nave, chancel and 3 bells. The living is a vicarage, worth £200 yearly, with residence, in the gift of Oxford, Christ Church; the Rev. Frederick Biscoe, M.A., is the incumbent. There is a National school for boys and girls. The population, in 1851, was 278, and the acreage is 1,890; rateable value, £1,840. The soil is stone brash. Harry Edmund Waller, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. There are charities of £35 yearly value.
Leygore is a farm.
Biscoe Rev. Frederick, M.A., [vicar] Walker Mrs.
Draper George, shopkeeper
Hewer George, farmer, Leygore farm
Miller Richard, wheelwright
Roberts Emma (Miss), schoolmistress
Smith Laurence, farmer
Soul William, blacksmith
Tayler Thomas, farmer
Walker Samuel, farmer
Wright Joseph, mason & parish clerk
Letters received through Northleach, which is also the nearest money order office.
National School, Miss Emma Roberts, mistress
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.