Last Updated on

Is a village and chapelry belonging to Sutton Courtney, but independent of it as relates to its parochial affairs; it is 3 miles south-east from Abingdon, and 55 from London, in the hundred of Ock, union of Abingdon, and diocese of Oxford. The chapel is a plain little old building. The living is a chapelry, annexed to Sutton Courtney vicarage, joint annual value £148, in the gift of the Dean and Canons of Windsor. Here is a free school endowed by Mr. Edmond Bradstock, who gave a messuage and 36 acres of land in perpetuity for its support; 20 poor boys are taught, 13 out of Sutton and 7 out of Appleford. There is a charity of £11 a yearfor the poor. Charles Eyston, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner.

The population in 1861 was 288; the parish contains 843 acres; the soil is green sand and gravel.

Letters through Abingdon.

Bullock Richard, Black Horse

Costiff Samuel, schoolmaster

Ody William, Carpenters’ Arms

Pullen Edward, farmer

Symonds Edward, farmer

Tyrrell James, farmer

Wichelow Henry, farmer

Source: Edward Cassey and Co.’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Berkshire and Oxfordshire 1868.