Last Updated on

Childs Wickham is a village and parish, 6 miles from Evesham station on the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton line of railway, 1 mile and a half from Broadway, 26 miles from Gloucester, and 92 north-west from London, in the lower division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, rural deanery of Campden, archdeaconry of Gloucester, bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, Evesham union and county court district. The church of St. Mary is a stone building, having a spire, nave, aisles, and 5 bells. The earliest register dates from 1552. The living is a vicarage, of the yearly value of £270, with residence; the Rev. John Hartley is the vicar and patron of the living. A National school and teacher’s house have recently been erected by subscription. The population in 1861 was 440; the acreage of the parish, including the hamlet of Murcot, is 1,821; the rateable value is £2,980. Sir Thomas Phillipps, Bart., is lord of the manor and principal landed proprietor.

Bnyzand Herbert, carpenter

Belcher Joseph, blacksmith

Crump Martha (Mrs.), farmer, Murcot

Davis William, Bridge inn

King John Cornish, farmer, Mount Pleasant

Mansell Stephen, farmer, Murcot

Morris Crescens, miller

Perrin Catherine (Mrs.), farmer

Phipps Richard, farmer & beer retailer

Powell Charles, miller, Murcot

Roberts John, farmer

Rogers Jas. & Isaac, shopkeeprs. & bakers

Slatter James, farmer

Smith John, farmer, Murcot

Wells Robert, farmer

White James, plasterer &c

Whitehead John, farmer, Mount Pleasant

Wilkes Charles, shopkeeper

Letters through Broadway, which is the nearest money order office

Registrar of Births & Deaths & Relieving Officer, Thomas Smith, Broadway

Carrier to Evesham. — Newbury, monday

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.