Last Updated on
South Acre is a small parish in South Greenhoe hundred, Swaffham union and county court district, Cranwich rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry, Norwich diocese, West Norfolk, a mile from Castle Acre, 3 miles north from Swaffham station, 117½ from London, and 13 from Lynn. The situation is in a pleasant valley, watered by the river Nar. The church of St. George is an old pile, with nave, chancel and aisles, and tower containing 3 bells: there are several monuments and a brass. The register dates from 1580. The living is a rectory, annual value £572, with good residence and 45 acres of glebe, in the gift of Andrew Fountaine, Esq., and held by the Rev. John Fountaine, M.A., of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The population is 92, and the acreage is 2,492. Andrew Fountaine, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner: the soil is sand and clay.
Parish Clerk, Robert Yallop.
Letters through Brandon. Swaffham is the nearest money order office
Fountaine Rev. John, M.A. [rector], Rectory
Clark William Breame, farmer
Palmer Walter Orbell, farmer
Starling Elizabeth & Martha (Misses), dress makers
Source: Post Office Directory of Norfolk & Suffolk; Kelly & Co.; London; 1865.