Last Updated on
Hatherop is a village and parish, 3 miles north from Fairford, and 9 miles from Cirencester, in the hundred of Brightwells Barrow, union and county court district of Cirencester, rural deanery of Fairford, archdeaconry of Bristol, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol. The church of St. Matthew is in the Perpendicular style of architecture. Date of register, 1670. The living is a rectory, annual value £300, principally arising from 340 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of His Highness the Maharajah Dhuleep Singh, and held by the Rev. Hugh Callendar, M.A., Cambridge. A parochial school is situated in the parish. His Highness the Maharajah Dhuleep Singh is lord of the manor and sole landed proprietor. The population in 1861 was 323; the number of acres is 2,160.
Netherton is a hamlet.
Parish Clerk, William Shaylor.
Callendar Rev. Hugh, M.A. Rectory
Dhuleep Singh His Highness the Maharajah, Hatherop castle
Brooks John Giles, farmer, South farm
Clifford Elizabeth (Miss), dressmaker, Netherton
Clifford Reuben Chas. miller, Netherton
Cozens William, gardener
Dawson William, gardener
Gardner Edmund, boot & shoe maker
Price Charles, farmer, Dean farm
Tombs John King, farmer
Tovey Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Tovey William, plasterer
Post Office Pillar Box.— Letters arrive at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 6.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Fairford
School, Miss Roscann Pinkerton, mistress
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.