Last Updated on

Little Hereford is a parish and railway station, comprising the township of Upton, 3 miles north-east from Tenbury (its post, poor-law union, and market town), 8 from Leominster (its petty sessions town), 6½ from Ludlow, and 21 from Hereford, in Leominster division, Wolphy hundred, Tenbury union, Little Hereford deanery, and Salop archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the turnpike rond to Tenbury, and near the river Teme. The church of St. Mary Magdalene is a curious old rubble stone building in the Mixed style, and was restored about 1840, at a considerable expense, by the late Joseph Bailey, Esq., M.P.; it has a belfry with 3 bells, centre aisle, harmonium, chancel, font, register commencing about 1714, sedilia, piscina, two old curious brasses, and several ancient and modern monuments, one of which is to the memory of the late Joseph Bailey, Esq., M.P. ; there is also a window beautifully ornamented with stained glass, which was got up by subscription as a memorial to the latter gentleman. The living Is a vicarage, united with that of Ashford Carbonel; joint annual value £230, with residence and 18 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Bishop of Worcester: the Rev. William Tomkins, M.A., of Jesus College, Oxford, is the incumbent, and the Rev. J. W. L. Burke is the curate. There is a school for boys and girls, with a residence for the master and mistress, which is supported by Mrs. Bailey; also a Sunday school held at the school-room. Easton Court, a modern stone building, is the seat and residence of Mrs. Bailey. The population in 1861 was 458; the acreage of the parish is about 3,555. The soil is clayey and gravelly; the subsoil is stone and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, hops and turnips.

Dirty Middleton is a hamlet, about 1 mile from the church.

Upton township is situated about 1 mile from the church.

Little Hereford.

Bailey Mrs. Easton court

Burke Rev. J. W. L. [curate]

Edwards Edmund, esq

Tomkins Rev. William, M.A

Wheeler William, esq

Butcher John, farmer

Davies Edmund, farmer

Froggatt Charles, farmer

Froggatt Henry, farmer, Bryhampton

Lucas George, farmer

Newman John, farmer

Nichols Samuel, farmer, Furlongs

Palmer William, wheelwright

Phesey William, farmer

Potts James, farmer, Cliffs

Rawlings Mrs. farmer

Shepherd Francis, blacksmith

Symonds William, grocer & postmaster

Wall George, shoemaker

Wall William, tailor

Wilson Richard, farmer, Easton farm

Dirty Middleton.

Arnett James, farmer

Arnett John, farmer

Bayllss Thomas, farmer

Davies Richard, farmer

Froggatt Thomas, farmer

Giles John, farmer

Jones John, farmer

Upton.

Smith John S. esq

Lane Willinm, farmer

Lee William, miller, Upton mill

Powell James, farmer, Lynch

Post Office. — William Symonds, postmaster. Letters arrive from Tenbury at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 4.20 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Tenbury.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.