Last Updated on

Saul is a parish and village, 5 miles north-west from Stonehouse railway station, 8½ from Gloucester, and 2 east from Whitminster, in Gloucester county court district, Whitstone hundred, Wheatenhurst union, East Gloucestershire, Gloucester rural deanery and archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric; it is situated on the river Severn, Gloucester and Berkeley canal and Stroud canal. The church of St. James is an old building, repaired and enlarged about 1850, and has a tower, porch, chancel, monuments, font, and 1 bell. The living is a perpetual curacy, with Moreton Valence annexed, joint value £210 yearly, with residence and 6 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the bishop of the diocese, and held by the Rev. John Fowell Jones, M.A., of Balliol College, Oxford. There is a National school for boys and girls, and a British school; the Wesleyans have a chapel here. The population in 1861 was 607, and the acreage is 500. The soil is clay and sand; the subsoil is gravel. The Rev. George Pickard Cambridge (lord of the manor), P. B. Purnell, Esq., the Rev. Sir William L. Darell, Bart., and the Rev. R. B. Cooper are chief landowners. There are charities of £5 yearly value. The church for the ecclesiastical district of Framilode, recently formed, is situated in this parish.

Clegram William B. esq. Saul lodge

Hicks Miss

Jones Rev. John Powell. M.A


Boughton Isaac, beer retailer

Clegram William B. engineer & superintendent of the Gloucester & Berkeley canal, Saul lodge

Ely Anthony, farmer, Saul farm

Gower Levison, barge owner

Greenway William, mason

Hawkins Esther (Mrs.), farmer

Pinnegar John Ephraim, boot & shoe maker, & leather seller

Letters received through Stonehouse.

The nearest money order office is at Frampton -on-Severn

National School (boys & girls), Mrs. Hannah Rowles, mistress

British School, John Vince, master

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.