Bellingham is thirty-two miles north-west from Newcastle, seventeen miles north from Hexham, six miles north of Simonburn, and nine miles south-west from Elsdon. Twenty-five houses were burnt down in this small place on the 25th of August, 1780. – Here is a fair annually on the 15th of September. There is a carrier, George Brechens, to Newcastle on Thursdays. – Principal inhabitants:
Smith Rev. Mr. Curate
Rutledge James, Surgeon
Scott –, Surgeon
Charleton John, Grocer and Haberdasher
Dodds William, Victualler
Fenwick Thomas, Victualler
Turnbull Ann, Grocer and Haberdasher
Lamb Jacob, Grocer and Haberdasher
Paterson Thomas, Grocer and Haberdasher
Scott Margaret, Grocer and Haberdasher
The village of Wark is four miles south. Wark or Werke Castle, was often attacked by the Scots. Green-head, of High-green colliery, is in this manor. The village is small, and has nothing remarkable but an exploratory mount, and a small part of the ruins, which form a rude pillar. – The principal inhabitants of Wark are Mr. Kell and David Nixon, General Merchants; and Thomas Dodds, Shoemaker.
Hazeleyside, the seat of William Charlton, Esq. is two miles west; and Reidsmouth, the seat of — Charlton, Esq. two miles east.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791