Badgeworth Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863
Badgeworth is a parish and village, 125 miles (by rail) west-north-west from London, and 4 south-west from Cheltenham railway station, in the upper division of the hundred of Dudstone and King’s Barton, Cheltenham union and county court district, rural deanery of Winchcomb, archdeaconry of Gloucester, and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church of the Holy Trinity is a stone building in the Decorated style, with handsome square embattled tower, chancel, aisle, chapel (which is dedicated to St. Margaret, and contains an inscription to the memory of William Lawrence, dated 1682), 6 bells, and several imposing mural tablets. The register bears date 1327. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Great Shurdington, joint annual value £295, in the patronage of Joseph Ellis Viner, Esq.; the Principal and Fellows of Jesus College, Oxford, are the impropriators; the Rev. Alfred William Ellis Viner, B. A., of University College, Oxford, is the vicar. There are several charitable donations for apprenticing poor boys and distributions for the poor. At Cold Pool there is a spring of mineral water. A National school for boys and girls was erected in 1840. The population in 1861 was 1,048; the acreage is 3,579. The soil is clayey.
Bentham, Little Shurdington and Little Whitcomb are hamlets.
Parish Clerk, William Crook.
Bubb Anthony, esq. Whitcomb court
Viner Rev. Alfred Win. Ellis, B.A. [vicar]
Viner Joseph Ellis, esq. J.P. Badgeworth house
Baker William, farmer, Redings
Chandler Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer
Chandler Joseph, farmer, Dryhill farm
Davis Joseph, farmer
Davis William, farmer
Edwards John, Talbot inn, Whitcomb
Fowler William, farmer, Hunt court
Hawkes William, shopkeeper
Kilby Joseph, farmer
Kilmister John, farmer
Oakey Charles, farmer
Oakey William, farmer
Polton James, farmer, Redings farm
Prockter John, farmer
Remes Thomas, carpenter
Roberts Daniel, farmer, Brook farm
Scrivens Henry, farmer
Stait William, farmer
Stait William, jun. collector of taxes
Theyer Isaac, farmer, Crippet’s farm
Theyer John, farmer, Crickley
Toms Isaac, farmer
Waine Thomas, farmer
Coopey Jaspar William, esq
Coates George, baker
Coopey Benjamin, farmer
Sadler Joseph, farmer
Arkell Charles, farmer
Sadler John, farmer
Theyer Henry, farmer
Arkell Thomas, horse dealer
Collingbourne John, stonemason
Hurn Phoebe (Mrs.), beer retailer
Jones William, farmer
Long Henry, farmer
Wiggall Isaac, shopkeeper
Letters are delivered through Cheltenham by a foot messenger. The nearest money order office is at Cheltenham.
National School, James Berry, master.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.