Last Updated on
Buscot is a village and parish, in the hundred of Shrivenham, union and county court district of Faringdon, rural deanery of the Vale of White Horse, archdeaconry of Berks, and diocese of Oxford, pleasantly situated on the banks of the Thames, about 4 miles south-west from Faringdon, and 2 south-east from Lechlade. The church of St. Mary is a very old structure, with a tower at the west end: the interior is plain, and has numerous mural tablets: it was new seated and repaired at the expense of the late rector. The present register dates from about the year 1700, those of an earlier date having been destroyed.
The living is a rectory, annual value £535, with residence and 64 acres of glebe, in the gift of Robert Campbell, Esq., and held by the Rev. Frederick Ackers Dawson, M.A., of Brasenose College, Oxford. There is a charity, of the annual value of £35, accruing from the sum of £1,166 13s. 4d. in the Three per Cents., left by Mrs. Nash, of Maidenhead, at the request of her late husband, formerly a sugar refiner of London, which interest is to be appropriated by the churchwardens and overseers for the yearly purchase of coats for 20 poor men, and gowns and petticoats for 20 poor women, residing in the parish; there is an additional annual charity for the purchase of four coats. Buscot House, the seat of Robert Campbell, Esq., J.P., was built by Edward Loveden Loveden, Esq., about the year 1780: it is a stone mansion, surrounded by gardens, skirted by an extensive deer park, and in the midst of a rich woodland country. Robert Campbell, Esq., is lord of the manor and the chief owner and occupier of the soil. The soil is various, mostly strong clay; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, turnips, and clover. The population in 1861 was 467; the parish contains 2,846 acres.
Parish Clerk, John Giles.
Letters arrive through Lechlade at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 6 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Faringdon
National School, William Hopkins, master; Mrs. Mary Hopkins, mistress
Conveyance. — Coach passes through from Fairford to Faringdon Road railway station, daily
Kent’s vans, from Fairford, pass through on their way to Faringdon Road station every other day, returning on the intermediate one
Browne’s van, from Faringdon to Cirencester, passes throngh every monday, returning to Faringdon same evening
Campbell Robert, esq. J.P. Buscot house
Dawson Rev. Frederick Ackers, M.A. [rector], Rectory
Catton James, farm bailiff to Robert Campbell, esq
Greenaway Henry, Campbell Arms
Grubb James, blacksmith
Lewis Thomas, farmer
Reynolds Thomas, shopkeeper
Simmons Robert, cowkeeper
Featured Image: Buscot Park by Rictor Norton & David Allen from London, United Kingdom. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license.
Source: Post Office Directory of Northamptonshire, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire and Oxfordshire; E. R. Kelly; Kelly & Co., London. 1869.