Last Updated on
Appleford is a village and parochial chapelry, 3 miles south-east from Abingdon, and 55 from London, in the hundred of Ock, union and county court district of Abingdon, rural deanery of Abingdon, archdeaconry of Berks, and diocese of Oxford. The chapel is ancient, and is a small, plain edifice, consisting of nave, chancel, porch, and wooden tower with 3 bells. The living is a chapelry, annexed to Sutton Courtney vicarage, joint annual value £148, in the gift of the Dean and Canons of Windsor, and held by the Rev. R.J. Heward Rice, M.A., of Exeter College, Oxford; the Rev. William Jesse Pickard is curate. There is a charity of £11 a year for the poor. Here is a Free school, endowed by Mr. Edmond Bradstock, who gave a messuage and 36 acres of land in perpetuity for its support; 20 poor boys are taught, 13 out of Sutton and 7 out of Appleford. Charles Eyston, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is green sand and gravel; subsoil, chiefly gravel. The crops are wheat, barley, and roots. The population in 1861 was 288; the parish contains 843 acres.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Clifford.
Letters through Abingdon, which is the nearest money order office
Free School, Samuel Costiff, master
Cox Mr. John
Bullock Richd. Black Horse, & shopkpr
Ody Thomas, Carpenters’ Arms, & carpenter
Pullen Edward, farmer
Symonds Edward, farmer
Tyrrell James, farmer
Viner Philip, shopkeeper
Wichelow Henry, farmer
Featured Image: Church of England parish church of Saints Peter and Paul, Appleford, Oxfordshire (formerly Berkshire) by Bill Tyne. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license.
Source: Post Office Directory of Northamptonshire, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire and Oxfordshire; E. R. Kelly; Kelly & Co., London. 1869.