Acton Scott Kellys Shropshire Directory 1863
ACTON SCOTT is a township and parish, 3½ miles south-south-east from Church Stretton, and about 1 mile from Marsh Brook station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway, in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow, Church Stretton union, Ludlow county court district, rural deanery of Wenlock, archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Hereford, pleasantly situated on an eminence above the Shrewsbury and Ludlow road. The church of St. Margaret has a tower and 3 bells. The living is a rectory, annual value £238, with residence and 60 acres of glebe land, in the gift of F. W. Pendarvis, Esq., the lord of the manor, and held by the Rev. George Magee, M.A. The Mansion, in the occupation of Mrs. Stackhouse Acton, is in the Elizabethan style; the grounds are spacious, and tastefully laid out. At the census of 1861 the parish contained a population of 207 inhabitants, with 1,889 acres.
Alcaston or Alciston, a township in the parish of Acton Scott, is situated about 1 mile from the parish church. It was formerly a Roman settlement. Loxdale Warren, Esq., is lord of the manor.
Oakwood Cottage and Church Farm are places here.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Jackson.
Acton Mrs. Stackhouse,The Hall
Mngee Rev. George, M.A. Rectory
Warren Loxdale, esq. Alcaston
Hayward Thomas, shopkeeper
Hotchkiss Joseph, blacksmith
Hotchkiss Samuel, farmer, Church farm
Keep George, farmer
Kinsey John, farmer, Alcaston
Knott Philip, farmer, Little Oakwood
Mansell John, farmer
Parker Ann (Mrs.), farmer
Thorpe Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Post Office. — Thomas Hayward, receiver, Letters arrive from Shrewsbury at 6 a.m.; dispatched at 6 p.m.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.