Last Updated on
Avenbury is a parish, 2½ miles south-east from Bromyard (its post town), 11 north from Ledbury, 13 north-east from Hereford railway station, and 153 from London, in Broxash hundred, Bromyard union and county court district. Frome deanery, Hereford archdeaconry, and Hereford bishopric; it is pleasantly situated on the Bromyard and Ledbury turnpike road; the river Frome runs through it. The church of St. Mary is an old stone building in the Gothic style, pleasantly situated on the banks of the Frome, with small square tower and 3 bells; the interior of the church consists of nave, chancel and a porch. The register dates from 1661. The living is a stipendiary vicarage, worth £80 yearly, with residence and 2 acres of glebe land, in the gilt of the Lord Chancellor; the Rev. John Shepherd, M.A., of Trinity College, Dublin, is the incumbent. Birchy Field, the residence of Mrs. Kempson, is a finely built structure of freestone, in the Modern English style, commanding an extensive and prospective view of the surrounding country. The population in 1801 was 371; the acreage is 3,048. The soil is clayey; subsoil, red sandstone. The representatives of the late Dean of St. Asaph are lords of the manor; Edmund Higginson, Esq., James Sanders, Esq., and John Freeman, Esq., are the chief landowners. The chief crops are wheat, beans, hops, and apples. There are charities of 40s. yearly value. Near Bridenbury is a detached part of the parish, which in 1861 contained 34 persons.
Munderfield Row, a hamlet, is about 1 mile and three-quarters south-west.
Parish Clerk, William Vernell.
Kempson Mrs. Birchy field
Shepherd Rev. John, M.A. Vicarage
Allies Richard, farmer, Little Frome
Allies Thomas, farmer, Avenbury court
Bevan William, farmer, Stocks
Clark James, farmer, Heath farm
Davenport Jane (Mrs.), farmer, Lower Venn
Corbett Joseph, farmer, Noaks
Gilmour Patrick, farmer, Hackley
Hill James, farmer, Cusop
Holloway Benj. farmer, Upper Hopton
Leake William, farmer, Burgess
Leake Wm. jun. farmer, Upper Venn
Nott James, miller, Frome mill
Parlour John, farmer, Sawby hill
Philpott Stephen, farmer, Brook house
Williams Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Goodshop
Gurney John, wheelwright
Gurney Thomas, carpenter
Philpott Frederick, farmer
Pitt Peter, cider retailer
Watkins James, blacksmith
Watkins James, blacksmith
Letters are received through Bromyard, which is the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.