Last Updated on

English: St. John the Baptist's church, Aston ...
English: St. John the Baptist’s church, Aston Ingham Viewed from the south-east. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Aston Ingham is a parish and village, 5 miles east from Ross railway station, 2 from Micheldean-road station, 13 from Gloucester, and 130 from London, in Greytree hundred, Newent county court district and union, Ross petty sessional division, rural deanery of Archenfield and Ross, and Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the borders of Gloucestershire, 2 miles north of the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester railway. The church is an old stone building, coloured white, very plain style, and in pretty good repair, and has nave, porch, chancel, font, and tower with 4 bells. The living is a rectory, worth £350 yearly, with residence and 104 acres of glebe land: the Rev. Henry L. Whatley, B.A., of Pembroke College, Oxford, is the incumbent and patron. There is a National and Free school for boys and girls, endowed with £10, and a house and garden left by the Rev. C. Stock, payable out of the Great Woodends estate, in the parish of Linton; also a meadow called Stockings, in the parish of Newent, rented at £7 per annum, for the adorning of the church. May Hill is an object of curiosity; on the top is a clump of fir trees, which has a very singular appearance when seen from a distance, from the otherwise barren appearance of the hill; it is a mariner’s landmark for the Irish Sea and Bristol Channel. The population in 1861 was 508; the acreage Is 2.378. The soil is red sandy loam; the subsoil is rock and red brick earth. Capt. K. M. Power is lord of the manor; and Capt. Power, Rev. Henry Lawson Whatley, J. Garrold, Esq., and Thomas Howell, Esq., and several others, are chief landowners. The late Richard Garrold, Esq., left £100 in the Three per Cents, the interest to be laid out in bread for the poor, to be distributed on Candlemas day by the rector and churchwardens.

Aston Cruse is distant 1 mile west.

Pariah Clerk, Thomas Aubury.

Edwards Miss Ann, Hill house

Holder Mr. Sampson, Aston court

Perkins Mr. Thomas, The Oaks

Taylor Mr. John

Whatley Rev. Henry Lawson, B.A., J.P.

COMMERCIAL.

Abrahall George, timber dealer

Abrahall John, farmer

Ambury Joseph, farmer

Baker James, blacksmith

Baker William, wheelwright

Baldwin Willin, shoemaker

Davis John, carpenter

Davis Thomas, farmer

Green Elisha, farmer, Lower Crocketts

Hale Reuben, tailor, May hill

Hodges Thomas, farmer, Old Oaks farm

Jackson Samuel, farmer, Oatfleld

Lewis William, Crown inn, & carpenter

Little Enoch, White Hart

Little Thomas, farmer & miller

Lodge John, farmer, Knight’s hill

Loveridge William, farmer

Miles Thomas, blacksmith

Nelms Joseph, farmer, Upper BarreII

Palmer Phillip, carpenter

Penner Charles, farmer, Luxtree

Perkins George, farmer

Price John, farmer, Gortsley

Randell Geo. boot & shoe maker, May hill

Scuddamore Richard, farmer

Smith Joshua, farmer, Perry’s farm

Surman William, miller

Tranter Benjamin, farmer

Walters Phillip, fanner, New house

Whittaker George, farmer, May hill

Yem Charles, farmer, Hill farm

Young Edward, nail maker

Letters are received from Ross at 11 a.m. Ross is the nearest money order office

National School, Mrs. Jackson, mistress

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.