Ashperton, 6 miles north-west from Ledbury, on the Hereford and Worcester railway, is a parish, in Radlow hundred, Ledbury union, rural deanery of South Frome, and Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric. The church of St. Bartholomew Is an old building of stone, having a porch and square castellated tower containing 4 bells. The date of the earliest register is 1537. The living Is a chapelry annexed to the vicarage of Stretton Grandison; joint annual value £600, in the gilt of the Rev. John Hopton, M.A., of Canon Frome Court, and held by the Rev. John Buckle, M.A., St. Mary’s Hall, Oxon. There is a National mixed school for 80 children. The population in 1861 was 534; acreage 1,715. The Rev. John Hopton, M.A. is chief landowner. It is in Ledbury county court district.
Parish Clerk, John Chamberlain.
Buckle Rev. John, M.A. Parsonage
Gregg Sidney, esq
Able John, farmer. Vicarage farm
Burgwin George, beer retlr. & shopkpr
Cale Jeremiah, coal, timber & cider merchant, & farmer
Cale William, spade tree maker
Chamberlain John, shopkpr & parish clk
Dutson Joseph, wheelwright
Dutson Thomas, farmer & hop grower, Verzons
Dutson William, carpenter
Fenn Thomas, tailor, Woodsend
Fincher Thomas, shopkeeper
Howell Edward, butcher
Howells Caroline (Miss), shopkeeper
Humphreys William, smith
Johnson Joseph, carpenter
Lane Robert, farmer, Tuston’s farm
Palmer John, farmer, Woodsend
Philpotts Thomas, farmer, Hausnet
Pitt Stephen, farmer, Wassington
Pudge James, farmer, Moorend
Simmonds Edward, shoemaker
Taylor Thomas, farmer, Roaks
Taylor Thomas, wheelwright
Treherne Henry, farmer, Lower town
Woodyatt Rebecca (Mrs.), farmer, Lower town
National Mixed School, Charles Humphrey, master; Miss Elizabeth Bevan, mistress.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.