Last Updated on
ALLENSMORE, consisting of the townships of Allensmore. and Hungerstone, is a populous parish, containing 612 inhabitants in 1861, distant 4 miles south-west from Hereford, 1 mile and a half north-west from Tram Inn railway station on the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford line, 13 miles west-north-west from Ross, and 148¼ from London, in Webtree hundred, Hereford county court district, union, archdeaconry, deanery and bishopric; it is situated on the turnpike road leading from Hereford to Abergavenny and Ross, which intersects the parish. The church of St. Andrew is an old stone building in the Gothic style, having a nave, aisle, chancel, porch, and square tower, containing 6 bells ; the register dates from 1771.
The living is a discharged vicarage, with residence and 2 acres of glebe land, the latter of which were granted by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners; the Bishop of Hereford Is the patron, and the Rev. Francis Baker, B.A. of Pembroke College, Oxford, is the incumbent. Here are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a Charity school for boys and girls, supported by Mrs. Burnam Pateshall, of Allensmore Court, which residence is most pleasantly situated here. The population in 1861 was 612; the area is 1,000 acres; the rateable value of this parish Is £2,735 6s. 6d. The soil Is gravel, and the subsoil marl. Ryan Pateshall, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner; the chief crops are wheat, barley, clover, and turnips.
Hungerstone township is distant 1 mile south-west from the village of Allensmore.
Winnall and Cobhall are small villages.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Cook.
Baker Rev. Francis, B.A. Vicarage
Berrow Misses, Webtree cottage
Brown Rev. Reuben, Winnall
Duncomb Rev. William, D.V Mawfield
Flock Mr. Edward
Pateshall Mrs. Burnam, Allensmore court
Watkins Mr. William Winnall
Baynham Robert, farmer, Wood street
Beavan George, farmer, Winnall common
Beavan Thomas, farmer, Mawfield
Berrow Mrs. farmer, Smallbrook
Blashill Robert, farmer, Mawfield
Brisland James, jun. tailor & beer retlr
Brisland James, sen. Pelican
Carpenter Edward, farmer, Cobhall
Connop William, farmer, New buildings
Cooper William, shoemaker, Winnall com
Davis Samuel, farmer, Church house
Davis Wm. farmer, Whitehouse Winnall
Evesham George, farmer, Firs
Flock William, farmer, Gethenfleld
Griffiths John, farmer, Winnall
Harper Edward, Cherry Tree
Harris John, cattle dealer
Hodges John, farmer, Winnall
Jenkins Thomis, blacksmith
Johnson John, blacksmith & wheelwright
Jones James, farmer, Cobhall common
Jones James, tailor, Cobhall common
Lambert John, shoemaker, Cobhall com
Lawrence Jas. shoemaker, Winnall com
Lawrence William, farmer, Cobhall com
Mackling Jas. shoemaker, Cobhall com
Mattey James, blacksmith, Cobhall com
Merrick William, farmer, Meerpool
Neat Ann( Mrs.), shopkecpr. Cobhall com
Parry Charles, farmer, Yew Tree cottage
Pickering George, haulier, Wallbrook
Powell George, farmer, Winnall common
Powell Thomas farmer, Winnall common
Preece Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Traphouse
Preece Richard, cooper, Hangman’s grn
Price Edwrad, cider retailer, Winnall common
Price William, fann bailiff
Sayce William, maltster, Cobhall common
Thomas George, shopkeepr, Winnall com
Watkins William, farmer, Winnall
Wilcox Francis, blacksmith, Goosepool
Wilde Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Winnall
Williams Ann (Miss), maltster, Cobhall common
Lawrence James, shoemaker
Lawrence John, farmer
Wilde Peter, farmer
Post Office. — John Boulter, receiver. Letters arrive from Hereford at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Hereford.
Assistant Overseer. William Powell
Charity School (boys & girls), Mrs. Eliza Brisland, mistress
Carrier (passing through). – Powell, from Abbeydore to Hereford, Wednesday & Saturday, returning same days.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.