Last Updated on
Down Ampney, or Amney, is a township and parish, in the hundred of Crowthorne and Minety, Gloucester and Bristol bishopric, Fairford rural deanery, Bristol archdeaconry, Cirencester union nnd county court district, 2½ miles from Cricklade, 4 south-west from Fairford, and 6 from Cirencester station. The church of All Saints is an old and very interesting building, now under repair, with a massive tower and spire, and 5 bells; the north transept was rebuilt by the munificence of the present Earl St. Germans, who has also been the chief contributor to the restoration of the rest of the fabric; in the south transept is the representation of Sir Nicholas de Villiers, arrayed in armour. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of Christ Church, Oxford; the tithes are commuted at £300; the Rev. Greville Phillimore, M.A., of Christ Church, Oxford, is the vicar. Here is an ancient gateway, built by the Hungerford family in the reign of Henry VII.; it is a fine specimen of the architecture of the period. A school has recently been built for the instruction of the children of the inhabitants. The population in 1861 was 429; the area is 2,451a. 1r. 3p. Earl St. Germans is lord of the manor and chief landowner.
Castle Hill is now a farm.
Parish Clerk, John Page.
Butler Paul, esq. Down Ampney house
Phillimore Rev. Greville, M.A. [vicar]
Bryan Jsph. farmer, Down Ampney farm
Cowley Robert, shopkeeper
Habgood Thomas, farmer
Halloway — , farmer
Messenger Joseph, blacksmith
Pinniger John, farmer
Rex James, Eliot Arms
Ricketts Stephen, carpenter & wheelwrght
Ruck Edmund, farmer, Castle Hill farm
Post Office. — Mrs. Elizabeth Dean, sub-postmistress, nearest money order office is at Cricklade.
Letters arrive at 7.15 a.m.; dispatched at 6.45 p.m. The School, James Sparkes, master.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.