Deerhurst Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Deerhurst is a township, village and parish, 4 miles south-west (by road) from Tewkesbury (the post town and railway station), 7 north-west from Cheltenham, and 10 north-north-east from Gloucester, partly in the lower division of the above Hundred, and partly in the lower division of Westminster Hundred, Union of Tewkesbury, archdeaconry of Gloucester, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, situated on the eastern bank of the navigable river Severn. The church, an old stone building in the Saxon style of architecture, is one of the finest specimens of that period in this part of the kingdom; it has a nave with two aisles, and a square tower containing 6 bells; and, in 1854, was repaired. The living is a perpetual curacy, worth £102 yearly, with a handsome residence, which is pleasantly situated on an eminence south of the village, and is in the gift of the Bishop of the diocese. The Rev. William George Sinclair Addison, M.A., is the incumbent. There is a chapel for Wesleyans. The population, in 1851, was 892, and the acreage is 2,874. The soil is stiff clay. H. E. Strickland, Esq., and Joseph Barnard, Esq., are chief landowners.
Deerhurst hamlet contains a population of 103. Deerhurst contains the two hamlets of Apperley, with Whitefield and Walton, both distant about 1 ½ miles from the parish church, which is in the hamlet of Deerhurst proper.
Apperley-with-Whitfield contains 548 people, and Deerhurst Walton, 143.
Addison Rev. Wm. George Sinclair, M.A.
Cox William, parish clerk
Crump Thomas, farmer
Dunn Edward, beer retailer
Margrett Hy. beer retailer & basket mkr
Margrett William, basket maker
Phillips John, farmer
Whithorn William, farmer
Letters received through Tewkesbury, which is also the nearest money order office
Registrar of Births & Deaths & Relieving Officer, Joseph Hoare Apperley
Parish Clerk, William Cox.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.