Last Updated on
Newington Bagpath is a township, parish and village, 5 ½ miles from Charfield station, 23 north from Bath, 23 south-west-by-west from Cheltenham, 17 south from Gloucester, and 106 west-north-west from London, in Berkeley Hundred, Tetbury Union, West Gloucestershire, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. It is situated 1 miles from the road from Bath to Wotton, Berkeley, &c. The church of St. Bartholomew is an old stone building in the early style; has nave, chancel, porch, square campanile tower, and 1 bell. The living is a rectory, attached to Owlpen, worth £283 yearly, with residence and 38 ½ acres of glebe land, in the gift of Colonel Kingscote; the Rev. A. Gardner Cornwall is the incumbent. There is a Mixed school, supported by the rector, conducted on the National principle. The court-house still remains, and is now a farm. The population, in 1851, was 239; the acreage is 2,131. The soil is mixed clay and stone brash; the subsoil is oolite. Colonel Kingscote is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The interest of £50, left by Mr. John White, of Kingscote, is distributed to the poor in bread at Christmas.
Bowcott, Calcot, Luggershall, Scrubits, Bagpath, and Newington, are farms.
Bengough John, esq. Ridge farm
Holford Miss, Lasborough house
Rolt John, esq. Scrubits farm
Cowley Daniel, boot & shoe maker
Creed Thomas, farmer
Drew Edward, farmer, Calcot farm
Elliott Robert, stonemason
Hancock James, shopkeeper
Holbrow Daniel, farmer, Bagpath farm
Holloway John, farmer, Luggershall frm
Worlock Edwin, farmer, Newington frm
Letters through Wootton-under-Edge, which is also the nearest money order office.
Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.