Owlpen Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Oldpen, or Owlpen, is a township, parish, and village, 3 ½ miles from the Frocester station, and 5 ½ from the Berkeley road station on the Bristol and Gloucester railway, and 3 from Dursley, in the Berkeley Hundred, Union and archdeaconry of Dursley, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is a stone building, in the early English style, having a tower, aisle, and 1 bell. The living is a rectory, worth £150 per annum; the Rev. Allen G. Cornwall is the present incumbent. The population, in 1851, was 82; and the acreage in the parish is 720. T. A. Stoughton, Esq., is lord of the manor, and owner and occupier. The Owlpen property is one of the oldest in the county; an original grant to the Owlpens by Earls Berkeley. The Daunts, a family of eminence in England and Ireland, acquired the property by marriage with the heiress of Owlpen, and the Stoughtons, and ancient Irish family, by the heiress of the Daunts.
Stoughton Thomas Anthony, esq., Owlpen park
Taylor William, agent to Thomas Anthony Stoughton, esq. Court house
Letters are received through Dursley, which is the nearest money order office.
Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.