Last Updated on
Leinthall Earls is a chapelry, in the parish of Aymestrey, 2 miles north-east from the latter place, 7 north-west from Leominster (its post, poor-law Union, railway station, market and polling town), and 20 from Hereford, (the county town), in the Leominster division of Wigmore hundred, Leominster Union, Northern division of Hereford, Hereford deanery, archdeaconry, and bishopric; it is situated about 1 ½ miles from the Watling Street turnpike road. The chapel of St. Andrew is an ancient low stone building. The living is united with that of Aymestrey, worth £50 yearly, in the gift of the vicar of Aymestrey, who is the incumbent. The Rev. William Hopwood, B.A., is curate. The population is included with Aymestrey. The soil is gravelly and loamy; the subsoil is limestone. Sir Thomas Hastings and Thomas Dunn, Esq., are chief landowners. The chief crops are wheat and barley. It is a township for highway, but not for poor law, purposes.
Letters through Leominster, which is the nearest money order office.
Cane Thomas, farmer
Hughes William, farmer
Jones John, farmer
Radnor William, farmer
Taylor William, farmer
Winnall William, farmer, Gatley park
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.