Dewchurch (Little) Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858

Dewchurch, (Little), is a parish and straggling village, in Wormelow Hundred, Hereford Union, archdeaconry and bishopric, and deanery of Irchenfield, distant 2 miles south-west from Holme Lacy station, on the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester line of railway, 6 south-south-east from Hereford, and 7 ½ north-north-west from Ross being situate on the high road leading from Hereford to Ross, by Hoarwithy. The church, a neat stone building, consists of a nave and chancel, with a square castellated tower having three bells. This edifice is small, affording accommodation for about 60 persons. The living, a perpetual curacy, without residence, is in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford, united with the adjoining parish of Hartland; the Rev. William Poole, M.A., is the incumbent, and the Rev. Samuel Sheene, M.A., is the curate. Here is a Dame school for boys and girls. The acreage of this township is 1,663, and the population 276; and the rateable value £1,704. The soil is clay and loam, the subsoil soft rock. Sir Hungerford Hoskyns of Harewood House, is lord of the manor; and the Governors of Guy’s Hospital, and Richard Garrold, Esq., of Brampton Abbotts, are the chief landed proprietors. In this parish there formerly existed a nunnery, on the site of which cottages have been built.

Letters through Hoarwithy. The nearest money order office is Hereford.

Andrews George, tailor
Clayfield Thomas, shopkeeper, the Friars
James Benjamin, miller, Prethethar mill
Jeffreys John, Blacksmith
Jones John, shoemaker
Miles Jacob, shoemaker
Moxley J., shoemaker
Oliver Mr., Lower Coombe
Powell William, mason
Preece Philip, beer retailer, Alt Bough
Thomas Thomas, Plough Inn

Bennett John, Alt Bough
Cooper Jacob, Catson
Davies George, Mount Boon
Davies Richard, Prethethar
Garrold Thomas Dew, Morastone
Hartland Sarah, Broadway lands
Hartland Thomas, Upper Witherstone
Hodges John, Dewchurch court
Imms William, Knapp green
Powell Thomas, Sunny bank
Seal Thomas
Webb Edward Jones, Altwent

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.