Last Updated on
Bridge Solers is a parish, distant 6 miles from Hereford, 6 from Weobly, and 14 from Hay, in Weobly Union, Weobly deanery, Hereford archdeaconry and diocese; it is situated on the Hereford and Hay turnpike road. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient stone structure, in the Norman and pointed styles of architecture; it has a square tower with two bells; the interior consists of nave, chancel, and north aisle. The living is a vicarage, worth £100 yearly, with half and acre of glebe land, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor; the Rev. James Johnson, M.A., is the incumbent, and the Rev. Richard Hayward Williams, B.A., is the curate. The population, in 1851, was 65, and the acreage is about 800. The soil is stiff loam upon gravel. Sir Henry Cotterell, Bart., is the landowner. The chief crops are wheat, barley, peas, turnips, hops, pears, and apples.
Offa’s Dyke is contiguous to this parish.
Letters through Hereford, which is the nearest money order office.
Blashill Robert, farmer, the Nap
Lawrence Uvedale, Salmon Inn, & farmer
Snead William, farmer
Taylor William, farmer, Marsh court
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.