Last Updated on

Blakemere or Blackmere, is a township, parish, and village 11 miles west from Hereford railway station, 8 north-west from Abbey Dore Union, 10 east from Hay, and 155 from London, in Webtree Hundred, Weobley Union, Hereford county court, archdeaconry, and bishopric; it is situated on the Hereford and Hay road. The church is an ugly old stone building. The living is attached to Preston-on-Wye, worth £250 yearly. There is a small day school for boys and girls. The population, in 1851, was 183, and the acreage is 1,127. The soil is sandy; the subsoil is sandstone. Sir Velters Cornwall, Bart., Rev. H. Lee Warner, Mr. J. Mathews, and Mr. W. Mathews, are the landowners.

Letters through Hereford, which is also the nearest money order office.

Ambury James, farmer

Bethell James, shoemaker

Bethell John, beer house

Davies George, wheelwright

Davies Charles, farmer

Hall Robert, farmer, Kinley

Haywood H., farmer

Matthews John, yeoman, Woodland house

Medlicot T., farmer, Church farm

Morgan Thomas, carpenter

Price James, parish clerk

Price Samuel, blacksmith

Williams John, shopkeeper, Holywell

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.