Last Updated on
Blakemere or Blackmere, is a township, parish, and village 11 miles west from Hereford railway station, 8 north-west from Abbey Dore Union, 10 east from Hay, and 155 from London, in Webtree Hundred, Weobley Union, Hereford county court, archdeaconry, and bishopric; it is situated on the Hereford and Hay road. The church is an ugly old stone building. The living is attached to Preston-on-Wye, worth £250 yearly. There is a small day school for boys and girls. The population, in 1851, was 183, and the acreage is 1,127. The soil is sandy; the subsoil is sandstone. Sir Velters Cornwall, Bart., Rev. H. Lee Warner, Mr. J. Mathews, and Mr. W. Mathews, are the landowners.
Letters through Hereford, which is also the nearest money order office.
Ambury James, farmer
Bethell James, shoemaker
Bethell John, beer house
Davies George, wheelwright
Davies Charles, farmer
Hall Robert, farmer, Kinley
Haywood H., farmer
Matthews John, yeoman, Woodland house
Medlicot T., farmer, Church farm
Morgan Thomas, carpenter
Price James, parish clerk
Price Samuel, blacksmith
Williams John, shopkeeper, Holywell
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.