Yockleton is a village and ecclesiastical parish, situated on the road from Shrewsbury to Montgomery, six miles from the former town, in the Southern division of the county, Atcham union, Ford hundred, and diocese of Hereford. By an Order in Council, dated June 7, 1862, this district was constituted “a separate benefice and rectory, by the name of the rectory of Yockleton,” to be under the charge of the rector of Westbury in sinistra parte, who was thenceforth to be styled rector of Yockleton. The church of Holy Trinity, consecrated in 1861, is a beautiful building, of stone from the Carlesden quarries, and faced with Grinshill stone, in the Early English style. The living is a rectory, yearly value £550, with three acres of glebe land and residence, in the gift of Reginald Cholmondeley, Esq. Captain Wingfield, of Onslow Hall, who is lord of the manor, and Thomas Jones Nichols, Esq., are the principal landowners. The soil is light loam; subsoil, clay and gravel. The population in 1861 was 492; area, 877 acres.
Stoney Stretton contains 709 acres. The Rev. Peers Parry, Capt. G. G. Wingfield, and Robert C. Jones, Esq., are the chief landowners.
Newton contains 220 acres.
Letters arrive from Shrewsbury at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 4 30 p.m.
Bromley Mrs., Lower house
Hayward Rev. Henry (curate in sole charge), Rectory
Nichols Thomas Jones, esq., The Hall
Ankrill John, blacksmith
Bromley Thomas, farmer and maltsters, Lynches
Broughall Richard, grocer
Broughall Thomas, commission agent
Evans William, builder, &c.
Gittins Mary, farmer, Upper house
Jones John, farmer, Park farm
Jones William, miller, &c.
Meredith Eliza, ladies’ school
Meredith John, Wingfield Arms Inn, and veterinary surgeon
Randles Thomas Jordan, farmer
Tong Thomas, grocer, &c.
Parry Rev. John Peers, The Hall
Bland Samuel, farmer
Bradley William, shoe maker, Stretton heath
Cooper James, boot and shoe maker
Davies David, farmer
Edwards George, grocer
Evans John, carpenter
Evans Richard, farmer
Hughes Richard, stone mason, Stretton heath
Probert Isaac, carpenter, &c.
Nichols Richard, painter and glazier
Oakley Timothy, Elephant and Castle, and farmer
Tomlins William, beer retailer
Watkins Evan, cooper
Pritchard Thomas, farmer
Williams William, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871