Last Updated on

Astley Abbotts is a parish and village, included in the parliamentary borough of Bridgnorth, two and a half miles north from Bridgnorth, adjoining the parish of Saint Leonard’s, Bridgnorth, in the Southern division of the county, Chelmarsh division of Stottesden hundred, Bridgnorth union, and diocese of Hereford, situated on the Bridgnorth and Shrewsbury turnpike road, and is bounded by the Severn, and the Tasley and Linley streams.  The church of St. Calixtus is a stone building in the Norman style, built in 1138.  has been almost entirely rebuilt – the chancel in 1633, and the nave and steeple in the year 1857 – in the Decorated Gothic style.  The living is a rectory, yearly value about £250, with residence, and 70 acres of glebe land, in the gift of W. A. Warwick, Esq.  There is a Parochial school for boys and girls, with a very small endowment, but chiefly supported by voluntary contributions.  Charities: John Huxley, Esq., in the year 1714, gave by his will a rent charge of 20s. per annum, to be distributed among twenty poor widows.  A sum of £20, supposed to have been left by one Littlehales, was lent to a person named Bache, of Bridgnorth, and afterwards to William Bourne, a baker, of the same place, who used to send a monthly supply of bread to the amount of the interest.  Shortly before the Charity Commissioners published their report Mr. Bourne became bankrupt, and the parish officers had not applied to prove this debt, from an idea that they had not the means of substantiating the claim.  Mrs. Catherine Phillips, by will, 1815, gave to the incumbent and churchwardens of Astley Abbotts the sum of £300 stock in the three per cent. consols, in trust, to pay out of the yearly dividends the sum of 20s. among twenty poor widows on St. Thomas’s day, and the remainder to some proper person for teaching poor children to read and write, and for bringing them to church every Sunday in an orderly manner.  Stanley Hall is a handsome castellated red brick building, with a picturesque and extensive park, the seat of Sir Henry Thomas Tyrwhitt, Bart.  W. O. Foster, Esq., is lord of the manor; and Sir Henry Thomas Tyrwhitt, Bart., John Stephens, Esq., and Lord Forester are the chief landowners.  The soil is marl and clay; the subsoil is clay and sandstone.  The population in 1861 was 668, and the area is 3,137 acres; gross estimated rental, £4,963; rateable value, £4,640.
Letters through Bridgnorth.

Darby Mrs. Stanley hall
Homfray Frederick, esq., Cross Lane head
Homfray Henry Edmund, esq., Canton bank
Pritchard Mrs
Wing Rev. John, B.A., Rectory
Baldwin William, Fox and Hounds, and pump maker, Linley brook
Bentley Ann, farmer
Bowen John, maltster and farmer, Dunvall
Clutton Wm., butcher, Nordley common
Colebatch John, farmer, Holly bush
Colebatch Mary, farmer, Great Binnal
Cox John, farmer
Davies Joseph, beer retailer and grocer, Dunvall
Embrey William, farmer, Road farm
Fazey Henry, wheelwright
Gretton John, miller and farmer, Frogg mill
Hall Thomas, beer retailer and wheelwright, Nordley
Jarratt John, farm bailiff to Mr. Thos. Nock
Jones John, farmer, Weaver’s coppice
Matthews William, Wheelwright, Canton bank
Pearce Thomas, farmer and miller, &c., at Wenlock
Roberts Mary, farmer, Severn hall
Stanyer Hiram, farmer, Nordley
Todd Joseph, farmer, Little Binnal
Tones Thomas, farmer, Cross Lane head
Wase John, farmer, Park farm
Yardley Henry, shoe maker, Cross Lane head
Yardley John, blacksmith
Yardley Wm., shopkeeper, Cross Lane head

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871