Annscroft – Cassey Directory of Shropshire 1871
Annscroft is a small village and new parish, comprising portions of the parishes of Condover, St. Chad’s, and Meole Brace, 4 miles from Shrewsbury, on the road to Longden, in the Southern division of the county, in the hundred of Condover, and union of Atcham. Christ Church is a handsome stone building, which was erected in 1870, at a cost of £1,400, raised by subscription. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of five trustees. Here is a school for boys and girls.
The Moat Hall, the residence of William Wilkinson, Esq., claims attention, from the many interesting and curious carvings in oak contained in the parlour and two upper rooms, one of which is supposed to have been formerly used as a chapel. In the moat, some time ago, was found a stone vessel, supposed to be a font. The population is about 500. The soil is a stiff clay, and the subsoil stoney. The principal landowners are G. J. Scott, Esq., J. S. Rutter, Esq., The Hon. Wentworth Powis, and R. Cholmondeley, Esq.
Letters arrive from Shrewsbury at 7 15 a.m., and are dispatched at 5 15 p.m.
Seed Rev. John, The Vicarage
Payne Mr. A. D., Lyth Hill
Bromley Francis, farmer, Welbatch
Davies John, rope and twine manufacturer, Rock villa
Edmunds Lloyd Edward, farmer, Great Lyth
Groves Mrs. Mary, farmer, Lyth Wood
Morris John, farmer, Lyth Wood
Phillips Mr. John, Lyth Hill
Pryce Richard, boot and shoe maker, and farmer
Savage William, farmer, Wood Hall
Wickham William Harding, farmer, Great Lyth
Wilkinson William, farmer, The Moat Hall
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871