Acton Scott – Cassey’s Directory of Shropshire 1871
Acton Scott is a parish, 3 ½ miles from Church Stretton, and 1 miles from Marsh Brook station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford Railway, in the Southern division of the county, upper division of the hundred of Munslow, Church Stretton union, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Margaret is a neat Gothic stone building. The living is a rectory, yearly value £238, with residence, and 60 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Mr. Holt. An Elizabethan parochial school house was erected here in the year 1866, at a cost of £600, exclusive of the site, at the sole expense of Mrs. Stackhouse Acton, and is entirely supported by her; it is free to the children of this and the adjoining parishes. Mrs. Holt is lady of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clay and sand; subsoil, gravel and rock. Here are charities amounting to £2 2s., given in coals. The population in 1861 was 207, and the area is 1,889 acres; gross estimated rental, £2,080; rateable value, £1,942. In 1341 the parish was assessed only £1 6s. 8d. to the ninth, “because the lands were untilled for the want of means. There were no sheep,” &c.
Alcaston, or Alciston, a township in the parish of Acton Scott, is situated about 1 mile from the parish church. It was formerly a Roman settlement. J. Loxdale Warren, Esq., J.P., is lord of the manor, and owner of the soil.
Letters arrive from Shrewsbury at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5 45 p.m.
Acton Mrs. Stackhouse, The Hall
Magee Rev. George, M.A., Rectory
Blackhurst James, farmer, Alcaston
Cleeton William, farmer, Helmley
Hayward Edwin, farmer, Castle hill
Hayward Thomas, shopkeeper
Hotchkiss Joseph, blacksmith
Hotchkiss Samuel, farmer, Church farm
Keep George, farmer
Knott Philip, farmer, Little Oakwood
Mellings William, farmer
Parrott John, farmer, Alcaston
Thorpe Richard, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871