Acton Burnell (inc. Acton Pigot) Cassey’s Directory of Shropshire 1871

Acton Burnell is a parish and village, with the hamlet of Acton Pigot, 8 miles south-east from Shrewsbury, and 9 from Much Wenlock; situated near the Roman or Watling Street road, in the Southern division of the County, Cound division of Condover hundred, union of Atcham, and diocese of Lichfield.  The Church of St. Mary is an old building in the Early English style.  The living is a rectory, yearly value £400, with residence and 9 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Sir Charles Frederick J. Smythe, Bart.  Here are a National and a Catholic School.  The charities are of £1 10s yearly value.  Sir Charles Frederick J. Smythe, Bart., D.L., is lord of the manor.  In the Hall is a Catholic Chapel.  The ruins of a castle, near to the Church and Hall, claim attention, from the many interesting and historical facts connected with it; it is recorded a Parliament was held here in the year 1283 by Edward I., on which occasion the Lords sat at Shrewsbury, and the Commons in the banqueting hall of the castle here, the gable ends of which still remain; here it was that the statute known by the name of the Acton Burnell statute was passed.  The Conqueror took the Saxon Godric’s manor from him and gave it to the Norman Earl of Shrewsbury, who in turn conferred it on Roger Fitz-Corbett.  It is supposed that Roger, the Domesday tenant of Actune, was ancester of those Burnels, from whom afterwards the manor took its distinctive title of Acton Burnell.  The soil is loamy; the sub-soil, sandy.  Sir Charles Frederick J. Smythe, Bart., and J. Coates, Esq., are chief landowners.  There is a charity of 30s. distributed in bread.  The area of Acton Burnell parish is 3,141 acres, and the population in 1861 was 283, besides a population of 78 in Ruckley and Langley parish.  Gross estimated rental of the parish, except Ruckley and Langley, £2,408; rateable value, £2,250.
Acton Pigot is 1 miles north-east from Acton Burnell.
Letters arrive at 7 25 a.m.; despatched at 5 45 p.m.
Carrier to Shrewsbury. – Richard Bould, Wednesday and Saturday.

Acton Burnell
Giles Rev. Francis S. (Catholic)
Serjeantson Rev. William, M.A., Rectory
Smythe Sir C. F. J., bart. D.L.
Bould Richard, bricklayer
Edwards John, gardener
Foreman Robert, bailiff to Sir C.F.J. Smythe, bart.
Harvey John, shoe maker
Jukes Thomas, farmer
Perks Thomas, shopkeeper
Pinches Richard, carpenter
Reynols Ann, butcher
Southern Matilda, Stag’s Head
Wainwright Humphrey, farmer

Acton Pigot.
Perry Graddon, farmer and maltster
Vickridge Joshua, shopkeeper

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.