Last Updated on

Aston Ingham is a parish and village, 5 miles east from Ross railway station, 13 from Gloucester, and 130 from London, in Greytree Hundred, Ross county court district and petty sessional division, Newent Union, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the borders of Gloucestershire, 2 miles north of the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester railway, and close by the celebrated May Hill, known as the mariner’s landmark in the Irish Sea and British Channel.  The church is an old stone building, colored white, very plain style, and pretty good repair; has nave, porch, chancel, font, tower, and 4 bells.  The living is a rectory, worth £350 yearly, with residence; the Rev. Henry L. Whatley, M.A., is the incumbent.  There is a National and Free school for boys and girls, endowed with £10.  May Hill is an object of curiosity; on the top is a clump of fir trees, which has a very singular appearance when seen from a distance, from the otherwise barren appearance of the hill.  The population, in 1851, was 636, and the acreage is 2,378.  The soil red sandy loam; the subsoil is rock and red brick earth.  Captain K. M. Power, is lord of the manor; and Captain Power, Mr. Edwards, and several others, are chief landowners.  There are charities of £17 yearly value, left by the Rev. Christopher Stock, rector of this parish, in 1662; £10 to the school, and £7 to repairs, payable out of the Great Woodends estate, in the parish of Linton.

Aston Cruse is 1 mile distant west.

Colridge was occupied by the Romans.

Letters are received through Gloucester, and delivered by George James, the postmaster at Lea.  Ross is the nearest money order office.


Aubury Thomas, parish clerk

Baker James, blacksmith

Baker Wm., wheelwright and carpenter

Baldwin Wm., shoemaker

Cole James, White Hart Inn

Davis John, carpenter

Hale Reuben, tailor, May hill

Lewis William, Crown Inn

Lewis William, wheelwright and carpenter

Little Charles, shoemaker

Miles Thomas, blacksmith

Pendlengham William, carpenter

Randell George, boot and shoe maker, Mill hill

Ruck George, blacksmith, Luxtree

Tranter Benjamin, brickmaker, Gortsley

Young Edward, nail maker

Whatley Rev. H. L.


Abrahall John

Ambury Joseph

Benbow George, (and miller)

Davis Thomas

Gardner John, Old Oaks farm

Garrold J., (& surveyor of roads) Knightshill

Green Elisha, Lower Crocketts

Hanbury Joseph, Yattleton

Hodges Thomas

Holder Sampson

Jackson John, Oatfield

Little Thomas, (and miller)

Nelms Joseph, Upper Barrell

Nelms William

Penner Charles, Upper Coldridge

Perkins George

Phelps Joseph, Hill farm

Price John, Gortsley

Roberts William

Scuddamore Richard

Smith James, New house

Taylor John

Walters Charles

Walters Philip, Withy Moor

Walters Philip, junr.

Whittaker George, May hill

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.