Cherington Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876
Cherrington is a parish and village in Tetbury union, containing, by the census of 1861, 232, and in 1871, 237 inhabitants, with 2174 acres of land; in the deanery of Stonehouse, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; 4 miles north from Tetbury, 5 west from Tetbury Road Station, 7 south-east from Stroud, and 8 south-west from Cirencester, about one mile east off the main road from Tetbury to Minchinhampton. The rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. Joseph Wood, is valued at £369 per annum, and is in the patronage of trustees. The church is an ancient Saxon edifice, dedicated to St. Nicholas, consisting of nave, chancel, and porch. There is a school for children of both sexes, supported by the trustees of the late Miss George. The rateable value of this parish is £2209.
Clergy and Gentry
George Mrs. Emily Mary, Cherrington park
Wood Rev. Joseph, The Rectory
Trades and Professions
Fleming Miss Harriet Elizabeth, mistress of Endowed School
Fowler Saml. Selman, farmer, Grove farm
Fowles George, farmer and miller, Westrip farm
Fowles Mrs. Sarah, shopkeeper
Hall Jesse, farmer and baker, and beer retailer
Kilmister William, farmer, Trull house
Lane Miss Ann, laundress
Roberts Richd., carpenter and wheelwright
White John Mills, farmer, Cox’s farm
White Thos., farmer, “Trouble House” inn
Letters through Stroud. Wall Letter Box cleared at 4.45 p.m. daily. The nearest money order and telegraph office is at Minchinhampton.
Endowed School – Miss Harriet Elizabeth Fleming, mistress.
Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.