Childs Wickham is a village and parish in Evesham union, containing, by the census of 1861, 440, and in 1871, 463 inhabitants, with 1821 acres of land; in the deanery of Campden, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, lower division of Rapsgate hundred, East Gloucestershire; 1 ½ mile north-west from Broadway, 5 south-east from Evesham, 26 north-east from Gloucester, and 92 from London. The vicarage, in the incumbency and patronage of the Rev. John Hartley, is valued at £270 per annum, with residence. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, consists of nave, north and south aisles, and tower surmounted by a spire and containing a peal of five bells. It has recently been rebuilt by the exertions of the present rector, the chancel being at the expense of William Atkinson, Esq., of Claremont, Southport, who is impropriator of the rectorial tithes, lord of the manor, and chief owner of the soil. There is a National School for children of both sexes. The rateable value of this parish is £3041.
Perrin Mrs. Catherine, Brixley villa
Trades and Professions
Bayzard Herbert, carpenter
Crump Martin, farmer and beer retailer
Crump Joseph, farmer
Davis Joseph, “Bridge” inn
James William, sexton
Jones William, surveyor and timber valuer
Kemp Joseph, blacksmith
Mansell Stephen, farmer, Murcot
Morris Crescens, miller
Newbury John, shopkeeper
Newman George, baker and shopkeeper
Powell H. and Sons, millers, Murcot
Roberts Miss Emma, National schoolmistress
Smith Edward, farmer
Smith William, farmer, Murcot
Wells Robert, farmer
White James, plasterer
Whitehead John, farmer, Mount Pleasant
Letters through Broadway, which is the nearest money order and telegraph office.
Evesham – Newbury, Monday
Source: Morris & Co.’s Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.